I just found out that I am a father of a 4 year old girl. What are my obligations? What are my rights?

Asked about 5 years ago - New York, NY

The mother and I met at a party one night, had intercourse and never saw each other again. 4.5 years later I find out I am a Father. Is it even legal for her to keep this from me? 4.5 years later, I have developed a life of my and and she has the same. Obviously she's coming after money and not even thinking of what a battle like this could put the child through.
Do I have any custody rights? Can she take me through the ringer after 4.5 yrs? I am a responsible person and always come good for any thing I do, but 4.5 yrs later..It would have been so much easier in the beginning.

Help

1. Ronald Anthony Sarno

Answered . If the paternity tests confrims you are the father, you are on the hook for child support. The child also should have parenting visits from you.
    On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Legal terms used in litigation………………………………………………………..

Divorce in General and How It's Handled in New Jersey (some of this applies to unmarried parents).

FYI my law partner James DeFelice practices family law in your part of NYS. You can access his contact information on his avvo profile or on our firm’s website: www.sarnoanddefelice.com

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.