I just found out a company i worked at 10 years ago still is holding my social security number in their records and

Mineola, NY |

actually brought it into a law case i have with them. can i sue for illegally having and holding, storing my social security number without my consent?what would this be called and how long are the sols on it

1. Why can't they keep the number in your file if you gave it to them?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. I agree. You gave it to them and they are required to keep certain employee files for many years. Have they used it illegally? Of not then there is nothing you can do.

"Nothing in this communication is meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf unless you have have hired me and entered into a written retainer agreement. I am only licensed in Tennessee and I suggest contacting an attorney in your specific city and state as soon as possible to avoid any statute of limitations deadlines, if applicable."

3. You are asking from a basis of misinformation. What you describe is not unlawful. And even if it were, you would need to bring that issue into your existing case with this former employer; it would not serve as a basis for a new independent claim or case.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Social security Topics