I just found out a company i worked at 10 years ago still is holding my social security number in their records and

actually brought it into a law case i have with them. can i sue for illegally having and holding, storing my social security number without my consent?what would this be called and how long are the sols on it

Mineola, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

Why can't they keep the number in your file if you gave it to them?

William Kevin Hodges

William Kevin Hodges

Social Security Lawyers - Smyrna, TN

I agree. You gave it to them and they are required to keep certain employee files for many years. Have they used it illegally? Of not then there is nothing you can do.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Administrative Law Lawyer - Pasadena, CA

You are asking from a basis of misinformation. What you describe is not unlawful. And even if it were, you would need to bring that issue into your existing case with this former employer; it would not serve as a basis for a new independent claim or case.