I just filed the I-864 for my husband with a joint sponsor. How will that effect my state assistance?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cedar Rapids, IA

My son is on title 19. I just filed the I-864 for my husband with a joint sponsor because I'm a student and do not work. Does that mean my son's state health insurance will be cut? I also get food stamps and unemployment while attending school. Will those be cut?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. Be sure of course that all information you provide in your I-864 is true correct and accurate and matches the information you may have provided elsewhere. As a creature of state law the question is better directed at an attorney specializing in Iowa state public benefits law and is not really an immigration question.

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You are find and have not reason to worry at this point. Finish your school, find good job and get of the public assistance. Best advice I can give.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You should be OK. It isn't you, but your son, that is on state assistance.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now