I just filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Texas. I am not sure whether the type of debt categories I have will be discharged?

Dallas, TX |

I had a business go upside down and all lost my corporate charter. As a result, all business debt is now falling on me personally. I have unsecured liens and deficiencies (some that are now judgements), I have one unsecured lien that resulted in judgement and now has escalated to Court receivership. They want to come into business and liquidate assets to satisfy debt. I also have alleged "security deposits" due to customers and commissions due to owners that I had a contract with. As a result of unable to pay commissions as agreed in contract, these "owners" pulled the equipment I was renting for them but I still owe some commission. Are the customer deposits and commissions due able to be discharged? Also, I put them on the list but what if they do not show up at the creditors meeting.

Good grief! This is WAY to complex for you get an accurate answer on this website. You must talk with your attorney. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

If you don't have a lawyer, you need on badly if you don't understand the basics of what is discharged and other important matters. It is also not clear whether you filed individually or for a company (corporate, or LLC) . You may have a big problem with security deposits, depending on the terms of any agreements. Again, you need a lawyer badly.

Ditto the other lawyers. There is no way to answer this on the website, and certainly you would want the protection of attorney client privilege rather than posting these problems out for the whole world to see.

I am licensed only in Texas. Offering information of a general nature in response to a question is not intended to be legal advice in your state.

Rustin Scott Polk

Rustin Scott Polk

Mr. Armstrong raises an excellent point about keeping these complicated issues private and privileged, so neither your creditor nor the trustee are given more ammunition than they're entitled to.

You stated that you just filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in Texas. If you filed pro se (meaning without an attorney or on your own), your issues are too complicated to address on your own and you should go get an attorney.
If you had an attorney file your case, he or she should be able to answer the issues you raised and guide you through your bankruptcy. Best of luck to you.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt