Skip to main content

I just became a U.S citizen I want to file for divorce and need immigration advice.

Philadelphia, PA |

I just became a U.S citizen and when you become a citizen you have an option to change your name for free I changed my first name and last name. I was not aware this new name would immediately go into effect the day of my citizenship ceremony. I want to file for divorce. I was in an abusive marriage for several years I do not want my husband to know my new name.
My questions are can I undo the new name administratively? or do I have to get a court order?
If I do a court order is there any way to speed it up? I want to file for divorce asap
Can a divorce lawyer ask the court to keep my new name private and just use my old name on the divorce petition?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can request a legal name change as part of the divorce proceeding or you can start a separate legal name change procedure. If it is important to you that your abusive spouse not know your new name you should talk about this with the divorce lawyer to see if part of the process can be kept private.


Contact an immigration attorney to discuss the case in detail. Skype consultations are also offered. This general forum will not help your specific case. I wish you the best.

This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. A lawyer-client relationship will not be deemed to exist until such time as a written retainer agreement has been executed by an authorized representative of this firm, or until the firm otherwise agrees to and actually begins rendering services on a clients' behalf.


Name can only be changed through a court order or through marriage/ divorce. So you will need to have a court order. You should file for divorce first and then change your name. Consult a lawyer if you have more questions.

This answer is not intended to replace a consultation with an attorney and does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You will have to get a court order to change your name legally.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer