I invested $50,000, 7 yrs ago in a business by verbal agreement. How can I get my investment back plus profit or interest?

I helped build the business, worked full time and invested 30%.We had a dispute after 3 years, now I no longer work there. Because it's a verbal contract, I can't get my profits let alone my $50,000 investment. The business is doing very well and has been paying for itself for years now. I have no idea what to do or where I should go from here.

Philadelphia, PA -

Robert V Cornish Jr.

Robert V Cornish Jr.

Business Attorney - Washington, DC

You may have a claim for unjust enrichment. At the very least, you should be able to demand an accounting to get your money back. My firm is based in Philadelphia and can certainly assist, as can many good AVVO attorneys from the Philadelphia area.

Pamela Koslyn

Pamela Koslyn

Business Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

The PA statue of limitations for breach of an oral contract is 4 years, and you may have other claims as well. Also, generally, a partner is entitled be paid their share of the business at the time they leave it, and their partner owes them and the business a "fiduciary duty."

You don't have any time to waste, so see a business litigator immediately to discuss the facts of your situation.

Patricia Sons Biswanger

Patricia Sons Biswanger

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Wayne, PA

You really need to retain a lawyer and get busy on this right away, or your chances of getting any of your money back will only get worse and worse.

Related Advice