I injured my lower back at work in July 2011 because of negligence from my manager . No loss of work time.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Waukegan, IL

Workman's comp collected $6,000 for me. I no longer work for this employer as of March 2013. Could I still file a civil case for permanent damages to my back?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No.

    Your sole remedy in Illinois for a work injury is workers' compensation, negligence is not a relevant factor.

    With that said, you still have time to file, in that you have 3 years from date of injury. The question will be what this "$6K workman's comp collected" is. If this was a lump sum permanency settlement under workers' compensation, then you settled your case and you are done.

    Is it a settlement? Did you sign pink contracts? If so, your case is over under workers' comp and you have no other options.

    Talk to an experienced workers' comp lawyer and one of us should be able to set you straight on your rights.

    Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No. Workers' Compensation is an exclusive remedy. I don't know what you mean when you say that workers compensation collected $6000 for you. If you are saying that you settle your case and signed pink papers in exchange for $6000, your case is over and cannot be reopened. If you did not settle your case, contact any one of us in this forum for a much more detailed answer as to what we can do for you.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr.... more
  3. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Workers comp is the remedy.

  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the above counsel. Work comp is your remedy.

  5. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Exclusive remedy is workers compensation

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney .... more

Related Topics

Pain and suffering for personal injury

Pain and suffering refers to physical and mental trauma caused by an injury, and is often a significant component of non-economic damages.

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,220 answers this week

3,855 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,220 answers this week

3,855 attorneys answering