I injured my ACL in my right knee on the job working for a general contractor who I was hired by to hang drywall. what can I do

I went out of town foR the work in Bishop,CA. THEY WAS A VERBAL AGREEMENT FOE THE JOB. HE HIRE ME AND AND WANTES ME TO HIRE THREE OTHER HANGERS TO COMPLETE THIS JOB.

Palmdale, CA -

S. David Rosenthal Esquire

S. David Rosenthal Esquire

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Roseville, CA

If you were an employee, then the contractor was required to maintain workers' compensation coverage and you can make a claim under that coverage. If the employer did not have workers' compensation insurance coverage, you can sue and there is a "presumption" of negligence on the employer's part.

If you were not an employee, you may have a case for negligence depending on how the incident occurred. Otherwise, you may need to look elsewhere for benefits, including health insurance, disability, etc.

You should consult a good workers' compensation attorney in Southern California who can steer you in the right direction.

Sponsored Listing
George Ellis Corson IV

George Ellis Corson IV

Workers' Compensation Lawyer - Orange, CA

Are YOU a Licensed Contractor? If you were hired as a Sub-Contractor for the job, you are in deep mud on a couple levels: WC would not apply to you, and you would be responsible for your own medical care, AND you would still be financially responsible for finishing the job you contracted for.

If you were an Employee, you would have WC rights against the GC, but I don't know why you would be hiring other people who might look to YOU for WC coverage. You should probably consult a WC Attorney before you make a bad situation worse.

Brett A. Borah

Brett A. Borah

Workers' Compensation Lawyer - Cupertino, CA

You can see by the answers from my two esteemed colleagues that this can be a very tricky situation. I recommend you consult with a good W.C. attorney and go through the whole story with him to help you try to sort it out.

Find a good attorney here at www.avvo.com or at www.caaa.org. CAAA is the association for attorneys here in CA who represent injured workers. Or you can call me for a referral. Good luck.

Related Advice