I inherited real property from my deceased parents. Property was sold and funds place in a trust account in my name.

Asked about 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

Is this trust considered a marital asset in a divorce action? Is it used as a basis to determine child support and or maintenance? Is it considered income?

1. David Alexander Browde

Pro

2

Answered . That depends upon the way the trust was set up. Inheritance generally is not a marital asset.

2. Paul Rutledge Durr III

3

Answered . This is a divorce question , not a trusts question, you may want to repost. But generally inherited propety is not marital property, although appreciation in value during the marriage may be marital property. Trust distributions may be used to pay child support obligations and maintenance. The terms of the trust agreement determine whether the property may be attached. The status of the trust when created determines whether you are taxed on all of the trust income under grantor trust rules, or just taxed as income is distributed to you. You need to talk with a divorce attorney and a trusts attorney.

3. John P Corrigan

1

Answered . It is not a marital asset.....is a separate asset (of yours) in a divorce action.

4. Thomas O. Moens

2

Answered . I changed the practice area of your question to Divorce. While inherited assets are generally not part of the marital estate, if funds have been commingled, they might be considered a marital asset. My suggestions is to retain a divorce attorney in your area.