I inherited property in NJ during my marriage. Will my husband be entitled to 50% if separated or divorced?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cliffside Park, NJ

He has been the Super in the buildings so we didn't pay rent for 16 years. Will he be entitled to anything?

1. Yolanda Navarrete

4

Answered . Inherited property is not subject to equitable distribution, unless it is co-mingled with common property along the way. Whether an argument can be made towards allowance because he is the super depends on other factors.

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

2

Answered . It depends. How is title to the property held? If, for example, the deed is in both your names than it will likely be treated as a gift from you to him and included in the marital estate. If you kept it titled in your name alone, you have an argument that it is your separate property. He might be able to claim 1/2 the increase in value due to his efforts as super. You should consult with a local family law attorney.

3. Bari Zell Weinberger

Pro

1

Answered . Ms. Navarette is correct. You may want to consult with a family law attorney who can discuss your specific circumstances with you and analyze them under the applicable law.