I inherited my fathers house he gave his girlfriend a life estate what are my rights

Asked 9 months ago - Saint Albans, VT

Do I draw up a lease or any other paperwork

1. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

1

Answered . You will be what is referred to as a remainderman if a deed was executed conveying the life estate. I suggest you take whatever paperwork you have concerning this matter to a probate attorney so that the legal circumstances of this conveyance can be fully explained to you.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

Answered . Did he do a life estate deed while he was living?
    Did he leave her a life estate in his will or trust?
    Need a little more information.
    If he did a life estate deed while he was living-you only need
    to file a death certificate upon her death to become an owner.