Skip to main content

I inherited my fathers house he gave his girlfriend a life estate what are my rights

Saint Albans, VT |

Do I draw up a lease or any other paperwork

Attorney Answers 2


Did he do a life estate deed while he was living?
Did he leave her a life estate in his will or trust?
Need a little more information.
If he did a life estate deed while he was living-you only need
to file a death certificate upon her death to become an owner.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Mark as helpful


You will be what is referred to as a remainderman if a deed was executed conveying the life estate. I suggest you take whatever paperwork you have concerning this matter to a probate attorney so that the legal circumstances of this conveyance can be fully explained to you.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics