I hit a pedestrian, what will happen now?

Edison, NJ |

While turning left, I was momentarily blinded by the sun and hit a pedestrian. The pedestrian is fine but I am facing legal troubles. I got a careless driving ticket, and I pleaded not guilty in hopes of obtaining a lesser charge. So what will happen now? What will be the best and worst outcome? Also, I am planning on going to grad school soon and do not have much money or assets. I live with my boyfriend and do not make much money. If she decides to sue me, what will happen? I have nothing to give her...please help!

I have already contacted insurance. I need to know possible outcomes and also what will happen if she sues me even though I have no money.

1. 1. Report this to your insurance company.'
    2. Contact an attorney who specializes in criminal defense.
    3. Good luck.

2. You should have car insurance which would cover this situation. You need to report it to them and let them take over handling of the matter if she files an action against you. As to your careless driving ticket, you should retain an attorney to handle this for you. He or she can give you further guidance.

You can learn more about me by clicking on my Avvo profile. Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.

3. Your insurance company will defend you. If you lose they will pay up to your limits. You will have to defend the criminal charges yourself. I would recommend you talk to criminal attorney in NJ for the careless driving. If they win more than your limits, you may have to consider bankruptcy.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

4. Your insurance company will defend you. If you lose they will pay up to your limits. You will have to defend the criminal charges yourself. I would recommend you talk to criminal attorney in NJ for the careless driving. If they win more than your limits, you may have to consider bankruptcy.

5. As long as you have insurance on your vehicle, you have nothing to worry about. Your insurance company will pay the pedestrian for her medical bills (assuming she doesn't have her own car insurance that would cover her bills), and possibly her pain and suffering, if any. Definitely let your insurance company know about this.

Traffic tickets topics