I hit a pedestrian, what will happen now?

Asked over 3 years ago - Edison, NJ

While turning left, I was momentarily blinded by the sun and hit a pedestrian. The pedestrian is fine but I am facing legal troubles. I got a careless driving ticket, and I pleaded not guilty in hopes of obtaining a lesser charge. So what will happen now? What will be the best and worst outcome? Also, I am planning on going to grad school soon and do not have much money or assets. I live with my boyfriend and do not make much money. If she decides to sue me, what will happen? I have nothing to give her...please help!

I have already contacted insurance. I need to know possible outcomes and also what will happen if she sues me even though I have no money.

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

Answered . 1. Report this to your insurance company.'
    2. Contact an attorney who specializes in criminal defense.
    3. Good luck.

2. Joyce J. Sweinberg

Pro

Answered . You should have car insurance which would cover this situation. You need to report it to them and let them take over handling of the matter if she files an action against you. As to your careless driving ticket, you should retain an attorney to handle this for you. He or she can give you further guidance.

3. Randy William Ferguson

Answered . Your insurance company will defend you. If you lose they will pay up to your limits. You will have to defend the criminal charges yourself. I would recommend you talk to criminal attorney in NJ for the careless driving. If they win more than your limits, you may have to consider bankruptcy.

4. Randy William Ferguson

5. Jeffrey Harlan Penneys

Answered . As long as you have insurance on your vehicle, you have nothing to worry about. Your insurance company will pay the pedestrian for her medical bills (assuming she doesn't have her own car insurance that would cover her bills), and possibly her pain and suffering, if any. Definitely let your insurance company know about this.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now