I hit a horse and wrecked my car who is responsible for damages

Woodburn, IN |

I was on my way to work one morning and hit a horse that got out. The owner of the horse showed me where it got out and the gate was not latched. There was a chain there to secure the gate but was not used. So is he responsible for damages well in this case the book value of the car. I only had liabilty insurance on the car

The owner of the horse is responsible for the damages caused if the horse is not properly secured to avoid forseeable situations such as the animal escaping an unlocked gate and causing damage to person or property. The most likely approach to successfully recovering the damages caused by this incident is to make a claim against the horse owners property insurance carrier. Thus, you will need to obtain the policy number and insurance company that provides coverage of the home owners insurance policy held by the horse owner or caretaker. Depending on at fault persons willingness to provide you with this information and the extent of your damages you may or may not wish to retain legal represtation to assist you with this process.

I agree with Mr. Nielsen - you should also talk to your car insurance company about filing a claim.

Animal law topics

Recommended articles about Animal law