I hired a lawyer for my workers compensation claim can I quit my job? and how will that affect me with my attorney?

I had a back injury on the job witch was not my fault thats been established already. I have been going to doctors visits for quite some time now a little over two months and seeing a physical therapist. Im scheduled to do a MRI in a couple weeks and the job is really starting to take a toll on me. I've been scrutinized and be little before the injury I was held in hi regard. So my question is with all that I have going on what will happen if I quit? does my workers comp case stay open will I have to pay my attorney? The only agreement I made with my lawyer is they dont get paid unless they recover money on my behalf (the usual in these type of cases Im assuming). When I asked my lawyers office what will happen I was told they have never had that happen they will check and get back with me

High Point, NC -

Samuel A. Scudder

Samuel A. Scudder

Workers' Compensation Lawyer

You cover a lot of ground in your question, so I will try to at least hit the high points. First, I assume your attorney knows more of the facts than you were able to put in your question, so I would defer to your attorneys' advice and strongly urge you to schedule an appointment or phone call to discuss with your attorney.

Second, do NOT quit your job, as this will impact your ability to draw unemployment and take away several of your options as your claim progresses. I am concerned that your lawyer indicated to you that this scenario has never happened with them before, as it is a common issue in workers' compensation cases. Please discuss this with your attorney as I think you may have a misunderstanding of their response to this question (or you may have spoken with a staff member that misspoke.) Unfortunately, what is happening to you at work is what happens in just about all claims: As soon as a worker gets hurt, they become damaged goods to the employer and they are then treated poorly and avoided by coworkers that were their friends prior to the injury.

If you are terminated by your employer, your workers' compensation claim will continue, as will the employer's duty to provide medical treatment and wage loss benefits. Just make sure you do not give them a reason to terminate you, as this may impact your right to continuing wage loss benefits. You must keep your nose clean at work and do nothing to give them a reason to fire you, don't even come in a minute late for work.

After discussing this with your attorney, if you are still not satisfied, I suggest you contact an attorney that is Board Certified as a specialist in workers' compensation law by the State Bar. There are several very good ones in your area of the state.

Kirk J. Angel

Kirk J. Angel

Employment / Labor Attorney - Concord, NC

You should follow up with your attorney on this. However, keep in mind that, aside from workers compensation, a decision to quit will impact unemployment benefits.

Bobby L. Bollinger Jr.

Bobby L. Bollinger Jr.

Workers' Compensation Lawyer - Charlotte, NC

Quitting your job in that situation is almost always a big mistake. Unemployment in NC is 9% or so right now so it may take months to find a new job. Mr Scudder has given you excellent advice.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

Business Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Your current attorney is the person to ask.

George Ellis Corson IV

George Ellis Corson IV

Workers' Compensation Lawyer - Orange, CA

I agree that your current Attorney is the best person to consult regarding your plan of action.