I hired a lawyer for asylum but now I'm out of status & they haven't yet submitted my application. How will that affect me?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Edmond, OK

Part of the delay is due to awaiting some important documents that will be attached at the time of filing as supporting evidence. How is my current status going to affect my case and what if the DHS tracked me down for deportation, what should I do?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

Answered . I agree with Atty Behar.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . Don't worry about it. The main thing is to submit an "approveable" application that is complete. If you are denied at the asylum office interview stage, you will the be "referred" to immigration court and will get a second chance to prove your case to a judge. It is oftentimes easier to win an asylum case in court, in font of the judge, than it is at the asylum office stage.
    Best of luck to you!

3. Nicklaus James Misiti

3

Answered . Just make sure the applications is submitted within 1 year of entering the country.