I hired a contractor to add a basement bathroom, it was a handshake deal with half payment up front and the rest upon completion

Graham, WA |

The job was 90% complete, the electrician messed up and left us with no lights in the basement or garage. We let the contractor know and said he would take care of it. 3 months passed and he would not return phone calls, so I hired someone to finish the job, around $700. The contractor found out through friends and now wants us to pay him the remainder, and I feel he never finished the job so do I need to pay him?

The total job was supposed to around $4000, so in the contractors mind I would owe him $1300

So, you paid him $2k up front, for a $4k job, and had to come out of pocket for $700? The right thing to do would be to pay him the remaining $1300, since he did all of the work except for the work the electrician did.

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs.

Since you received the work yo should pay for it. Pay the $R1300.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

Recommended articles about Employment