I hired 2 attorneys to get my divorce. Wanted a fair settlement. I put $60k in our house. Husband makes $85k a yr with 2 pension

Galesburg, IL |

I have applied for disability. Lawyer talked me out of going to court. I feel I was manipulated. We had joint bank acct. Only from 96-04. No money in that acct was his. He opened his acct 1wk after home purchase. I financed marriage &his children. With bipolar, and putting >$ in I should have gotten more than $25 back. Liabilities were not even considered. I have way more. He got all the assets. I got chump chg. Want to sue attorney and go bk 4 proper settlement. At least another $35k.

If you went to trial, you might be entitled to appeal if your time to do so has not yet expired. If you had a proveup (as opposed to a trial) less than 30 days ago, you can ask that the judgment be vacated and if it is allowed, you will in effect be un-divorced, married all over again, and will have to start all over again. Go take all your papers to an attorney who handles divorce appeals. Be prepared to pay big bucks. There is really nothing we can do for you here.

I asked my attorney to vacate the settlement. I was promised a court appearance and was manipulated out of it. Divorce date was 8/11. I have tried to find a lawyer in the hometown to take this back to court. I have been so disappointed by the two lawyers I had to pay, I am hesitant to hire another lawyer. To date they have taken my money. and not really done much for me.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

A judgment entered 8-11 cannot be vacated absent a showing of due diligence and a meritorious defense. It is very unlikely you would prevail on such a motion. Buyer's remorse will not help you. It is also way too late to appeal.

what is needed to show due diligence and meritorious defense? Can you provide an example, Please?

if the divorce judgment orders you to do certain things, you probably cannot go bankrupt on those items. go to a divorce lawyer and a bk lawyer fast.

Problem being I have talked to several lawyers in Galesburg IL. Knox County. I know of a couple that are doing cases like mine. But they haven't accepted my case. Divorce lawyer? almost impossible to find. One local lawyer told me I would not find 'fairness' in this town. Considered a male chavenistic group. I had a different Judge to start with. Who said 1st attorney could have finished case by phone. Attorney did not do this. 2nd attorney was going in front of a new Judge. I was told by ex husband, my lawyer told Judge in Chambers right before we were to go to court, that he was not prepared for my case, even tho he had had it for 9 months. He had been knee deep in a murder trial that year. Any more advice? Or help in finding counsel in that area?

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

gary - judgement entered 8-11.

I am not bankrupt yet. I am very conservative with my money.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

judgment entered aug, 2011? so it has been 17 months? asker, the case is over. move on. stop wallowing in what could have been. you chose to settle and now you have buyer's remorse. perhaps some therapy to learn how to let go and move on would help you.

Just how long ago was your divorce entered? Consult with an attorney in your community, and give him or her all the facts that are needed to answer your question properly.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce