I haven't completed my madd classes and the next class is the day after my court date, already got an extension too, help?!!

Santee, CA |

I am very serious about taking care of everything, my work slowed down, I have the time to finish all my classes now, The judge told me if I didn't enroll for my dui classes, make payments on my fines and finish the madd classes then he would send me to jail for 30 days, I have made the payments and enrolled in my dui classes but the next class is on the 14th and my court date is the 13th! What do I do?!!!

It's tough to predict exactly how the judge will react - I don't know the underlying details of your case, nor do I know your history with the court - don't post that information here as it is a public forum and can be accessed by anyone, including DAs and police.

Generally speaking, I would think that the judge will give you the time needed to complete the MADD class; you have paid your fines, enrolled in the alcohol program and have a date set to attend MADD. It's not like you are coming to court having done nothing and asking for another extension. Of course, I don't know how many times you have been in front of this judge, so I can't give you a guarantee that he will give you extra time - but as your class is the very next day it makes sense for him to grant you at least a short extension. An attorney would be a big help to you in this situation. Good luck to you.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute legal advice. I have answered a question on a public forum which does not establish any attorney-client relationship. For a more detailed legal analysis you should consult with a legal professional in your area.

Bring proof that you have completed all but one of the classes and that you are scheduled to do so on the 14th, and you should be fine. Also bring proof that you have made the payments and fulfilled your other obligations. If you had an attorney, give them a call. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

Alan Graham Keating

Alan Graham Keating

As I neglected to do, and Mr. Nielsen rightly pointed out, bring proof with you to court.

Depends on the judge in San Diego. You may be able to ask for a continuance in the Business Office. There are different MADD classes in the 4 counties in San Diego, and sole classes in Spanish too if that helps. You can call SAAU to get those class times/locations.

Disclaimer: This was not legal advice, and in no way formed an attorney-client relationship.

Eric Paul Ganci

Eric Paul Ganci

Just checked and the there are no English MADD classes before the 13, so you may have to try the Spanish route if you can..

Go to court ASAP and seek to get another extension for a few days so you can go do the MADD class on 05/14.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

They would have given you plenty of time to complete the classes but you were not responsible enough to do so. You should be asking your lawyer to get an adjournment or get the classes done in a different location. The judge will probably give you the adjournment if you have a good lawyer.

As Mr Ganci said, try going to the business office to get the extension. If that does not work, do what Mr. Shapiro said and ask the judge for an extension. Bring proof you are going to MADD the next day.

DUI court topics