Skip to main content

I have valid NY driving License and I moved to IL on job purpose, can I get IL driving ID as my L1 visa is expiring in 5 months?

Naperville, IL |

My L1 Visa is valid till Sep 2013. I want to get Illinois state driving ID as I moved from New york and my NY driving ID will get expired in 2015. I am doubtful of getting IL state driving ID as my visa is valid less than 6 months only.

Attorney Answers 2


It depends on what the state of IL DMV rules are but after the REAL ID Act, a federal law was passed, many if by now not all state DMV's have become very stringent in the issuances of state ID's and DL's and usually will only issue documents for the validity of your immigration credentials, i.e. I-94 of your L-1 or the visa validity/ I would probably stick with the NY DL valid until 2015.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 comment



Thank you for the information. If I continue with my NY driving ID without having IL driving ID will there be a problem with cops and Will they listen my concern?


Check with the Illinois Secretary of State ( Most of the information is available online, and if not stop by one of the offices. There are actually very efficient and it will not take much time to get an answer straight from the source.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics