I have valid NY driving License and I moved to IL on job purpose, can I get IL driving ID as my L1 visa is expiring in 5 months?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Naperville, IL

My L1 Visa is valid till Sep 2013. I want to get Illinois state driving ID as I moved from New york and my NY driving ID will get expired in 2015. I am doubtful of getting IL state driving ID as my visa is valid less than 6 months only.

1. Answered . Check with the Illinois Secretary of State (www.cyberdriveillinois.com). Most of the information is available online, and if not stop by one of the offices. There are actually very efficient and it will not take much time to get an answer straight from the source.

2. Answered . It depends on what the state of IL DMV rules are but after the REAL ID Act, a federal law was passed, many if by now not all state DMV's have become very stringent in the issuances of state ID's and DL's and usually will only issue documents for the validity of your immigration credentials, i.e. I-94 of your L-1 or the visa validity/ I would probably stick with the NY DL valid until 2015.