I have two tickets in collections that has caused my Drivers L to be suspended

I am currently not working is there any way that I can pay this down and get my license back

Check with the clerk of courts. Some will set up a payment plan that will allow you to pay a little each month, and as long as you are paying every month, they will issue a notice to the DMV that will allow you to get your DL back.
But some won't do this. The fact that the tickets are in collections is a bad sign, but it can't hurt to ask.

Thank you Thomas K. Almquist. I will set up a court date and see what the judge says, have a blessed week

Thomas Klemens Almquist

Thomas Klemens Almquist

You're welcome. But to be clear, it's up to the clerk. You probably won't have to see the judge at all.

Oh wow ok, so when I go to the courthouse do you know if they automatically send me to the clerk that day? Thanks

Thomas Klemens Almquist

Thomas Klemens Almquist

See Mr. Salimi's thorough answer above. I was unaware that you had an upcoming court date.

Thanks I looked at his comment and it helped me a lot, but I didn't have a court date the collection agency said that they cannot set up a court date for me to speak to the clerk so I asked them for proof of judgement against me so I can take it to the courthouse myself and speak to the clerk. So now I am just waiting for the documents so I can take them to the court and hopefully get some assistance

It seems you are in Los Angeles; If your courthouse is Metropolitan (downtown Los Angeles), all you have to do is go to the Clerk's window on the first floor. They have a dedicated window for "GC Services" which is likely where you'll need to be since you are in collections.

Something you should be aware of is the fact that it is very likely that you have a Failure To Appear ("FTA") on your record since you state that you didn't pay your ticket and likely did not appear in court.

FTA's are quite expensive and nearly impossible to successfully defend against by pleading 'Not Guilty.'

What will likely occur is that you walk into the courthouse and speak to the clerk. The clerk will tell you how much you owe and you will likely be unable to pay the full amount. Something you may want to consider is telling the clerk that you want an arraignment date since you never had you "day in court" (assuming that you didn't have notice of your court date perhaps?). Clerk will likely schedule you for a date a few weeks in the future. At that time, you will appear before the judge (you should certainly remember to appear this time) and have the opportunity to plead either Guilty or Not Guilty. If you decide to do the former, consider mea culpa and hope for mercy in a reduction in fines. If you opt for the latter, prepare a defense. Hopefully, the links below will help you in your quest!

Good luck!

This is NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists.

Thank you so much Mohammad I do have a ticket with the Metropolitan Courthouse, however I did appear in court for my court date I was in a homeless shelter at the time and completely forgot about paying the ticket and it got sent to GC Services, it was back in 2007. I also have a ticket in inglewood courthouse I will go there and talk to the clerk as well lol. I really need to get my license back and since I am not working it is hard getting to and from places on the bus as a single mom with kids. I am hoping the courts are able to assist me with what ever help they can and again I really do appreciate your help in this matter

If you never dealt with these tickets they have failures to appear on them. You need to get holds lifted and a court date. Once the holds are lifted your license will no longer be suspended. You must attend the court date given to you by the clerk.

If you have already been to court and fined, you need to get these matters back on calendar and request a payment plan or community service ( if you are eligible) . This is not easy to do if you are in Metro.

Thanks Mr. Roberts I attend to do that as soon as possible. I did go to court on the tickets, so I don't think any of them have a failure to appear , thanks again for your assistance

Don't put off handling this. In all likelihood, these tickets have failures to appear. Until you get these cleared up, there won't be anything you can do. Prolonging the situation only makes things worse.

Good luck!

Thanks Jason appreciate the encouragement