I have TPS, should I apply for the Deferred Act? Would that be unnecessary?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I've lived in the USA for more than 14 years and have had my TPS. Which I renew every year. Though for FAFSA and government scholarships I'm not eligible because as far as I know TPS is not accepted and who have this don't get aid. I want to know if the Deferred Act is something I should apply for, or just not worry about that. Since with TPS I have permission to live here and work as well.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . No. I would do that. DACA will not make you eligible either. You might be eligible for instate tuition rate in some states with DACA but not financial aid.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Gabriela Monserrat Lopez Arcos

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues, you should not apply for DACA. Your TPS status is similar and may even be better. DACA will not help you get financial aid.

    Gabriela M. Lopez

  3. Maria Jose Batres

    Contributor Level 2

    Answered . Because you are on TPS, you are not eligible to apply for DACA. In order to qualify for DACA you must demonstrate that you currently have no immigration status and that you were not in any lawful status on June 15, 2012.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,511 answers this week

2,625 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,511 answers this week

2,625 attorneys answering