I have TPS, should I apply for the Deferred Act? Would that be unnecessary?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I've lived in the USA for more than 14 years and have had my TPS. Which I renew every year. Though for FAFSA and government scholarships I'm not eligible because as far as I know TPS is not accepted and who have this don't get aid. I want to know if the Deferred Act is something I should apply for, or just not worry about that. Since with TPS I have permission to live here and work as well.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Best Answer

Answered . No. I would do that. DACA will not make you eligible either. You might be eligible for instate tuition rate in some states with DACA but not financial aid.

2. Gabriela Monserrat Lopez Arcos

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues, you should not apply for DACA. Your TPS status is similar and may even be better. DACA will not help you get financial aid.

Gabriela M. Lopez
    www.landerholmlawoffice.com

3. Maria Jose Batres

Answered . Because you are on TPS, you are not eligible to apply for DACA. In order to qualify for DACA you must demonstrate that you currently have no immigration status and that you were not in any lawful status on June 15, 2012.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now