I have to turn myself in for 5 warrents ,3 for a misdemenor probation violation 90 days do i need a lawyer can i get house arr..

Asked over 2 years ago - New Bern, NC

plus the other 2 ,one is a dui and the other one i a speeding ticket.dont have a bad record what would be the best thing for me to do,how much time is i'am looking at what could be a good option for me not really trying to get locked up

1. Frank Mascagni III

4

Answered . You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney ASAP to represent you. Especially if you are on misdemeanor probation. 5 separate offenses, 3 for probation violations, exposure to a 90 day jail sentence is a serious matter. Get counsel!

2. Maltaise E Cini

4

Answered . Given that you have 5 outstanding warrants and are on probation I would strongly advise you to hire an attorney. You do not mention if you have posted bond on any of these cases. Given your facts a judge would be likely to take you into custody if you showed up in court on your own to deal with this case without bond being posted.

3. Nathan Edward Sweet

2

Answered . I will echo the previous statements that you need to get in touch with a Criminal Defense lawyer here in Eastern, NC. Before going into private practice I handled thousands of DWI cases (not DUI). The important thing to remember about DWI cases is that they are VERY technical and it is best, as with any area of the law, to hire an attorney who does this as a speciality and knows the relevant law.

As a practical matter, before you turn yourself in you should speak with a bail bondsman and get any money you have available. This will keep your initial jail time to a minimum. Most likely, the probation violations are something your DWI lawyer will be able to handle along with your DWI case.

4. Robert Jonathan Lee

1

Answered . You need to contact counsel asap and have them indicate to the State Attorney that (1) you intend to self-surrender and coordinate a date (2) inform the state as to your reason (hopefully justifiable) as to why you have not appeared/have 5 warrants out/violated probation and (3) seek an agreement from the state permitting continued release if possible.

Without more, it is difficult to predict an outcome, but it will not look favorably should you be brought in forcefully as opposed to willingly should your end desire be to stay out of jail.