Skip to main content

I have to take a doj to get a c7 licence to sell alarms. I have 2 felonies sales and battery 20yrs ago. can i get a c7

Clovis, CA |

this huge company is aware of these felonies and interviews still went great. supervisor said its up to state to licence me or not
. some others have felonies but i dont know the details. all i can find in my searches is michigan rules and i would be able to get a licence with them but im in california.

Attorney Answers 2


You need a license issued by California's Bureau of Security and Investigative Services. The agency is under the auspices of California's Dept of Consumer Affairs.

Two felonies will be a high hurdle for BSIS licensure in California. Here is the link for California laws, rule and regulations.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


State licensing for an applicant with prior felony convictions almost always involves cleaning up the applicant's criminal record. California's alarm-related licensing agency, BSIS, will be reluctant to license a salesperson with two felonies. But it may be possible for you to bring a petition in court that will result in one or both of those felonies to be reduced to a misdemeanor or even to be dismissed. (This is what California offers in lieu of "expungement.") That procedure does not take long and does not cost much money. You should definitely look into it. Contact your former criminal defense attorney for help or inquire at the local office of the public defender. The court in your jurisdiction may have forms that you can fill out and it may be possible to get this kind of post-conviction relief even without an attorney. These court remedies will make California licensing in any field a great deal more likely.

If you are still on probation, you will need to have your probation successfully terminated before BSIS will issue you a license. If your probation is more than halfway over, then you can ask the court to terminate it early.

Most likely you can handle all of these post-conviction remedies in one appearance before the court at the same time. Please look into these measures -- the benefits to you can be significant and will last the rest of your life. Best of luck.

Mike Claessens, License Advocates Law Group

Mark as helpful