Skip to main content

I have to have my ex-wife sign a 8332 form in order to claim the dependency on my taxes? I is already stated in agreement i can

Orlando, FL |

Agreement states:
Dependency Deduction: For years in which the mother remains unemployed, the father shall be entitled to claim the dependancy deduction for the child, for IRS purposes. however, when the Mother obtains full time employment and is therofre able to utilize the deduction, she shall be entitled to claim the child as adependant in her first year of employment wherin she has been employed for a sufficient time to file an income tax return which will offset a child deduction. therafter, so long as the mother remians so employed, the deduction shall be alternated, on a yearly basis. the parties shall execute any documents neccassary to effecuate this provision, within 5 days of presentation to the other party pf aany and allapplicable documents.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I don't understand. Why don't you just send over the 8332 with a stamped return envelope?

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!



Sorry for typos . I wanted to know if I am suppose have her sign an 8332 form and file the signed 8333 form with my taxes? Or do I not have to worry about filing an 8332 since my right to file dependency is stated in agreement and she is unemployed and can't file anyways. sorry this agreement just went through and I am new to the process.

Brent Allan Rose

Brent Allan Rose


You must file the 8332 that she has signed.


Have you requested that your Ex sign the document. If she doesn't sign, you can file a Motion to Compel her to sign the document.

The answering of this question is just friendly advise, and in no way legal advise. For legal advise you should contact an attorney with detailed information about your situation, so he or she can better assist you.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer