Skip to main content

I have to go to united stated district court for obstruction of mail if i plead guilty what will happen

Cody, WY |
Filed under: Federal crime

i am scared..

Attorney Answers 6

  1. You should be scared. I never recommend that anyone plead "guilty" without an attorney representing them. Perhaps a plea bargain can be worked out. Do not discuss this with ANYONE. See an attorney Monday morning!

  2. My colleague is right. Federal court is a scary place. You need a lawyer. If you cannot afford one, the court will appoint an attorney for you. This is extremely important! Contact a lawyer immediately, someone with experience in federal criminal defense.

    The response I have provided is general in nature, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. My practice is based in Rhode Island, and the law and practice in other states or jurisdictions may be different.

  3. No one can predict a criminal sentence. Your attorney is your best resource. Don't plead guilty without first speaking with your attorney!

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.

  4. First, don't do anything without an attorney. If you've got a "rainy day fund" or friends to lean on, the time is now to gather your resources and hire an attorney who has experience before the judge who is hearing the case. The Wyoming Bar Association has a referral program that may be able to assist.

    The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client relationship.

  5. If you cannot afford an attorney, the Federal Defenders will appoint you one before your arraignment. Do not plead guilty. Get an attorney.

  6. Obstruction of mails in violation of 18 U.S.C. Section 1701 is a Class B misdemeanor, which is punishable by a term of imprisonment not to exceed six months. However, your conduct would have to have been extraordinarily egregious to warrant that term of imprisonment (or any term of imprisonment at all). Nonetheless, the statute allows the district court to impose incarceration, and therefore, I recommend that you retain an attorney or request a federal public defender.

    Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.

Federal crime topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics