I have to file a motion for default judgement in a divorce case. The defendants whereabouts are unknown. Can I still proceed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Valley Stream, NY

The case was filed in December 2010. He was served but never responded.

1. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

4

1

Answered . It is possible. You may still be able to serve the motion papers on him at the address that he accepted service of the Summons and/or Complaint. However, if he shows up to the hearing and opposes the motion, the judge may dismiss the motion based on the expiration of the time period allowing a Motion for Default Judgment.

A Motion for Default Judgment is not an easy thing to do without an attorney. Whether it be this firm or another firm, you will be well-served to discuss your matter with a New York litigation attorney in a confidential forum as soon as possible.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . Unless the rules are different in divorce cases, generally a case is deemed abandoned and dismissed if a motion for default not filed within 1 year of service. Check with the Clerk's Office.

3. David Alexander Browde

Pro

3

Answered . Yes.

4. Howard Edward Knispel

Pro

2

1

Answered . Defaults must be filed within one year of service. You may need to have him served again. Also he needs to be served personally, in hand. If he wasn't the first time you will not get a default. If you do not know his whereabouts now you will need to file a motion to serve by publication. This is complicated. You need to contact a local attorney.
    Howard E. Knispel, Esq.
    Commack, NY
    631-864-7589