I have the title to a car that is in my name and another that person moved to another city.now they wont to take the car away

Asked almost 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

from me and say that i stole it what do i do and what lawyer do i talk to.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your name is on the title of the car, you cannot be convicted of stealing the car. In case the police do call or show up to question you about it, you simply need to tell them that your name is on the title and it is your car. That clears up any criminal implications.

    Clearly, there could be a civil action based on how the car was acquired or purchased. How the car is titled is probative but not conclusive on ownership of the car. Many times, judges will just split the baby, order the car sold and the proceeds split. It depends greatly on how the car was acquired.

    As far as the Nevada DMV is concerned, the key phrase on the title is whether there is an "AND" or an "OR" between your names. If it is an "OR" you can sell or encumber the car without the other person's permission. If it is an AND between your names, both parties must sign to sell.

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Someone took your car and moved away?

    *That* is stealing; file a police report.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now