I have tem green card , I was arrested for DUI in NY ! will I loose my green card?

Asked about 1 year ago - Staten Island, NY

or I can make any deal with courts if I hire a lawyer?

1. Madhu Kalra

9

Answered . Consult with an attorney to discuss your detailed criminal history. It depend on your background. If its your first time and no accident or injury to others, and not an addict, you should be ok.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

7

Answered . I handle DUI cases all the time. They are very fact specific. Did you take the breath test? If YES, what was the result? Was there an accident? Do you have a prior record?

Eric Rothstein
    Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com
    212-577-9797

3. Dean P Murray

7

Answered . You should immediately consult an immigration attorney and review the exact details concerning your arrest. Do not plead to anything without consulting an immigration lawyer.

4. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

8

Answered . Please consult with an immigration attorney to discuss whether you are deportable for your conviction.

5. Christopher Irvin Simser

4

Answered . Your lawyer can certainly enter into a "deal," or "plea bargain," with the prosecutor on your DWI charge. That is a matter for a criminal defense attorney. Specifically, you should retain an attorney experienced in eth area of DWI defense and familiar with the prosecutor's office handling your case and the court where you are charged. The big question is how the "deal" will affect your immigration status. For that you need to speak to an attorney who handles immigration matters.

In the best situation you would locate one (1) attorney who can handle both. But that is unlikely. These are both highly concentrated areas of the law. So take the time ot research and interview carefully.

6. Brian Andrew Trodden

4

Answered . You need to speak with an immigration attorney. I have handled thousands of DWI cases, including hundreds where the defendant was not a US citizen. It often depends on your prior criminal history, along with how long you have been in the country and your family situation. I once started representing a defendant who was in jail for several months, and was here illegally. I won a jury trial and after he was found not guilty of all charges, he was deported. I have also had clients who are not US citizens who have had prior violent felony convictions and then subsequently got a DWI conviction, but did not get deported. You need to consult with a good immigration attorney and a good DWI attorney.

7. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

3

Answered . Yes you can lose residency status for a DWI.

8. Maria Tsao Tu

4

Answered . In comparison, DWI without injury to another carries the least amount of immigration consequences than other criminal offenses. Of course, under immigration law, any criminal offense will result in your application to be flagged. I agree with the other attorney that you don't have to be too worry if this is your only criminal offense and you inform your immigration lawyer who will be working to remove your condition on your green card. Good luck.