I have taken a rental car and met with an accident, fault is with me, should i pay for it or insurance will pay it

Milwaukee, WI |

I had a rental car and was covered with the rental insurance, since it was 20$ a day i have taken my own car insurance which was active from 07/06/12 midnight, i went to the rental car company and cancelled the policy and told my new policy will be active from midnight and i want the policy to be active till midnight. While coming from the rental company i met with an accident which occurred on 07/06/12 around 4.30 pm. My rental car company insurance replied me now by saying we will not cover the bill, and i need to around 12k$ for the car, what should i do?

You should contact an attorney immediately and go over the facts of your case so that
    A proper investigation can be made.

2. You need to report the claim to your auto insurance carrier.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

3. Report the claim to your insurance carrier immeidately. They will help you.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

4. It sounds as though you need to meet with the rental car representative who you told to cancel the rental insurance coverage, starting after midnight. Hopefully he or she will remember your discussions and resolve the problem for you. If you paid for the full day of coverage, then it would appear that the rental car company insurance should have remained in effect through the time of your accident, and should cover you. Check to see if the paperwork from the rental car company indicated that your coverage with the rental insurance was to be cancelled after midnight the next day. Otherwise, it appears from your posting that your private auto insurance would not have been in effect until the next day, however, I would also notify them of the accident for them to determine if your coverage was binding as soon as you took out the coverage with them, which may have covered you for the accident.

The information you obtain from this posting, and/or the act of sending an e-mail to this site and viewing this posting, are not intended to and will not create an attorney-client relationship. The information you obtain from this posting is not, nor is it intended to be, specific legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own particular situation. The material in this posting is not intended to be advertising, but it is instead meant it to be general information only.