Skip to main content

I have sole physical and legal custody of my child. he has visitation rights. however i live in NY and one day plan on moving

Brooklyn, NY |

to CT. Now we just finalized the divorce. i want to know should i get a notarized letter with a lawyer present that if i choose to move to CT he has no problem with it. i will get this sing by him and me and notarized. is this correct info or no ?

he has no problem with it. signed *

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    In the divorce/family law field a notarized letter is not worth the, well, paper it is written on. New York has very strict rules about documents. If he has no problem with the move, then you should get an agreement, signed and notarized with the same formality as with a deed for real property.

  2. While the notarized letter may help you in an application for permission to move, it is not legally binding. Dad could object and then you have to get Court permission BEFORE you move or you could be in real hot water and possibly lose custody.

  3. There are differing opinions on this point. I support the idea that a written agreement permitting a relocation is sufficient proof of permission of a relocation. The agreement should be notarized and authenticated.

    Other day a petition is needed in family court and the stipulation be converted into an order.

    Either way, be sure you gave him adequate substitute parenting time along with holidays and vacations.

    Good luck.

  4. If he has truly no problem with you and the child moving to CT, yes, he can sign a consent and have it notarized.

    If he is interested in visitation, you may need to deal with some workarounds for the fact that frequent visitation may be more difficult, for instance, allowing longer periods during school vacations, or some arrangement for the custodial parent to pick up more of the transportation costs are often concessions (especially if your divorce decree or prior Family Court orders require the Non-custodial parent to pay child support).

    This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

  5. I agree with Attorney Port. Have it drawn up correctly with the proper full acknowledgment.

    I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

  6. As my colleagues have written, there is no simple answer. A signed notarized letter can help, but it is not dispositive. If you move and three months later the father changes his mind and files, the notarized letter and the fact you have taken substantial steps may play a role. Court permission is usually needed to relocate. The primary case in NY on relocation is TROPEA. You are best advised to check any stipulation of settlement for relocation language and obtain the advise of counsel before taking any steps.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics