Skip to main content

I have sole custody of my son in wa. can i take my son for vacation to california for ten days or not?

Kirkland, WA |
Filed under: Sole custody

His dad sees our son every other weekend supervized only.

Attorney Answers 2


Depends what your parenting plan says. There should be a section specifically about vacation with parents. Unless your plan specifically says you are NOT allowed to take your son out of state, or must get the father's agreement to do so, etc, I'd think that you'd probably be safe if you gave the father 30 days notice and offered to make up missed visitation (in fact, that's probably overkill if dad only has supervised visits, but it's always better to be on the safe side!)

Please note that this answer is the best I can do with the limited info I have; you may want to consult an attorney further about your specific situation.

Mark as helpful


The critical thing is that your vacation plans do not interfere with a weekend where the dad has residential time. Look at your parenting plan to determine if there are restrictions on you regarding out of state travel. Lots of plans say you have to tell the other parent. Temporary plans will frequently say don't take the child out of state. If you interfere with the dad's time, or leave with the child when a plan says not to, you could be subject to contempt.

Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics