I have sole custody of my son, and the father does not see him ,is there any way to have my husband be able to adopt him ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Myrtle Creek, OR

My son is 4 years old, the father is ordered to pay child support does not, any time i try to ask the father about legal issues regarding my son he avoids the topic or says he needs to focus on himself at the time. I have gotten married and my husband wants to adopt my son. I have offered to sign away any past due child support and still allow him to be apart of out sons life if he wants. However, he thinks he is being a good father because when he files taxes the state takes it for past due child support. How do I convince him that this is not about me and him but in the best interest of our child? I feel very frustrated and no idea what I can do. The father is not a bad person just unrealistic about the situation.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Given what you said, it does sound like you will need the father's signed consent to accomplish a stepfather adoption. Maybe a letter from an adoption attorney might get him to change his mind. Good luck.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more

Related Topics

Sole custody

Sole custody means that a child will only live with one parent, although the other parent often still has legal decision making power and visitation rights.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,638 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,638 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering