I have sole custody of my son, and the father does not see him ,is there any way to have my husband be able to adopt him ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Myrtle Creek, OR

My son is 4 years old, the father is ordered to pay child support does not, any time i try to ask the father about legal issues regarding my son he avoids the topic or says he needs to focus on himself at the time. I have gotten married and my husband wants to adopt my son. I have offered to sign away any past due child support and still allow him to be apart of out sons life if he wants. However, he thinks he is being a good father because when he files taxes the state takes it for past due child support. How do I convince him that this is not about me and him but in the best interest of our child? I feel very frustrated and no idea what I can do. The father is not a bad person just unrealistic about the situation.

1. Diane L Gruber

Pro

Answered . Given what you said, it does sound like you will need the father's signed consent to accomplish a stepfather adoption. Maybe a letter from an adoption attorney might get him to change his mind. Good luck.