I have sole custody of my son, and the father does not see him ,is there any way to have my husband be able to adopt him ?

Myrtle Creek, OR |

My son is 4 years old, the father is ordered to pay child support does not, any time i try to ask the father about legal issues regarding my son he avoids the topic or says he needs to focus on himself at the time. I have gotten married and my husband wants to adopt my son. I have offered to sign away any past due child support and still allow him to be apart of out sons life if he wants. However, he thinks he is being a good father because when he files taxes the state takes it for past due child support. How do I convince him that this is not about me and him but in the best interest of our child? I feel very frustrated and no idea what I can do. The father is not a bad person just unrealistic about the situation.

Given what you said, it does sound like you will need the father's signed consent to accomplish a stepfather adoption. Maybe a letter from an adoption attorney might get him to change his mind. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 27 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody