Skip to main content

I have sole custody of my daughter and she wants to change her last name to mine, do we need the father's permission in NV?

Las Vegas, NV |

she wants to change her middle name and hyphen her last name to reflect both his and mine. Thanks in advance for your response.

The court order was established in Ohio.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. You will have to give Dad notice and attempt to get permission. If he doesn't contest, you should be able to get the name change completed. Getting permission will make the process move smoothly and avoid delay.

  2. Whether he consents or not, you have to file a Petition with the Court, publish the Notice, and mail a copy of the Petition and Notice to the dad. If he objects, he would need to file an Objection. You would then argue why it is int the child's best interest to change her name. And it appears she is not asking to get rid of dad's name, just add yours. This should be a relatively simple argument since you are her sole custodian.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics