I have sole custody of my daughter and she wants to change her last name to mine, do we need the father's permission in NV?

Las Vegas, NV |

she wants to change her middle name and hyphen her last name to reflect both his and mine. Thanks in advance for your response.

The court order was established in Ohio.

You will have to give Dad notice and attempt to get permission. If he doesn't contest, you should be able to get the name change completed. Getting permission will make the process move smoothly and avoid delay.

Ok, so the answer is YES we have to get the dad's permission to change/add my last name as a hyphen and change her middle name until she is 18, even though I have sole custody.

Amanda M Roberts

Amanda M Roberts

No, you don't have to get permission. You must try to locate him, but his permission is not required. You give notice and if he doesn't contest, it should be granted. I would suggest you consult with an attorney.

Btw, why do I have legal custody if I can't make legal decisions for her, he will contest just for the sake of contesting. How can I proceed anyway?

Thank you Amanda, I understand the distinction now.

Whether he consents or not, you have to file a Petition with the Court, publish the Notice, and mail a copy of the Petition and Notice to the dad. If he objects, he would need to file an Objection. You would then argue why it is int the child's best interest to change her name. And it appears she is not asking to get rid of dad's name, just add yours. This should be a relatively simple argument since you are her sole custodian.

Thank you Ms. Kunin for your clear and concise response.

Israel Lynda Kunin

Israel Lynda Kunin

You are welcome.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody