Skip to main content

I have signed papers to have my daughter adopted and have realized its not what I want. how do I get my baby back?

East Northport, NY |

I signed an agreement of surrender and release and a waiver of notice of hearing of adoption. the adoption agency said I do not have any legal rights. I live in n.y. and signed the papers in new York. the agency is in new jersey.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Contact an attorney immediately in the area where the adoption took place. Depending when it was signed you could possibly rescind the agreement.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  2. It is possible that "final" isn't yet, but only an attorney who has fully reviewed all the papers and gathered all the relevant facts will be able to tell you. I suggest you contact an attorney immediately for a confidential consultation. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

  3. It maybe difficult (but not impossible) to undo what you signed. This is why people should hire attorneys to fully explain everything before you do something you might regret. Contact a local attorney where the adoption is taking place to explain what rights you may have.

    The above is a general answer and is not considered legal advice. You should contact an attorney before proceeding to take any legal action, signing any papers or upon service of a summons. Howard E. Knispel 631-864-7589