I have several medical collection items on my credit. These debt collectors have bought the debt, but it is not owed.

Asked over 3 years ago - Downsville, NY

What these people are trying to collect is the adjusted amount. I am on Medicare, and like other insurance companies, there is an agreed upon charge for services and balance must be adjusted off. Well, these adjusted amounts have been bought 3 separate times. I have asked for itemized statement from medical facility and have been told that they do not have to provide this as it is protected under Hippa law. I have also sent EOB's which to date have been ignored. I am not elderly and won't be strong armed into paying, but these people have to stop being permitted to do this. I have also disputed this with credit companies, but they are still on credit report. Suggestions? Can a law suit be filed against people like this?

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

Answered . Since the creditors are not taking you to Court to try to collect these debts, you will want to continue with the dispute process to remove these debts from your credit report. Any documentation you can provide in support of this dispute should be submitted as evidence to help remove these items.

Litigation is not a good way to resolve small disputes & should only be used if you can clearly prove money damages.

Hope this perspective helps & good luck!

2. Mark L Rosenberg

Answered . You should dispute these on your credit reports with all 3 credit bureaus, and they should eventually be taken off. You can do this online, but you may want to do it the old fashioned way, with paper, to show that you have disputed these before.

3. Mark L Rosenberg