I have rented a room in my house and the tenant and I signed a 3 month lease ending in 1/10/10 can I raise the rent?

Asked over 4 years ago - Sacramento, CA

I would like to raise it from $450 to $600 after her lease expires. Do I still need to give er a 60 day notice or is it ok because her actual lease is over? Please help!!

I appreciate your quick response, thank you. But as far as the notice is concerned, is this even an issue? I have talked to her about the increase, but she says that I need to giver her at least 60 days by law and that it is unacceptable. I thought that since it was the end of our agreement and she would need to sign a new one anyhow, it wouldn't be an issue...Thoughts?

1. Steven Alan Fink

Answered . Discuss her plans for a new lease, now. If she is not going to stay, no problem. If she is, work out the new lease now.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.