Skip to main content

I have received a Notice to Appear under section 240 of the Immigration and Nationality Act for removal proceedings.

Dallas, TX |

I am 31 years old and have been in the U.S. since I was 7 yrs old. My mom,dad, and sister are U.S. Citizens. I applied for amnesty in 1988 but did not make the cut off date and was denied. I then applied for family unity in 1997 and the case was approved and I had to wait for a visa to become available. I was given temporary worker permit and a SSN which I have used to work since I was 18. I then filed for adjustment to permanent resident in 2005 but my attorney left the country and did not file the paperwork that i paid him for. He is now under prosecution for Immigration fraud. I missed out on my Visa due to his fraud and now have received this removal document. I have never been in trouble & have been a good citizen. Is it possible the immigration judge will let me stay in the country?

Attorney Answers 1


You are eligible to fight this case in court. Based on the quick reading of the facts, you are eligible for Cancellation of Removal for Non-Permanent Residents. Perhaps you may even qualify for Adjustment of Status before the Court, however, I would require more information to confirm this. You need legal representation asap.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics