Skip to main content

I have received a letter stating that I have been accused of a "possible intentional" violation for food stamps. Apparently the

Saint Louis, MO |

I have received a letter stating that I have been accused of a "possible intentional" violation for food stamps. Apparently they felt as if I should have disclosed my now husband (who was unemployed for that time). I thought that adding him would actually qualify us for more and I was embarrassed to need the help in the first place. I NEVER intentionally did anything to try to abuse the system. I got a letter saying that reguardless I was not elligible for the food stamps at all and now I need to pay it back. If I do pay it back am I pleading guilty to fraud? I have not received benefits for over a year now. I find this whole thing to be crazy but I am ok to pay it back because I look at is as I REALLY needed the help and would not have been able to feed my daughter without it. Should I get a lawyer or can I just set up payments and have this be over?

Attorney Answers 1


Before you make any admission regarding the alleged "intentional violation", I believe that you should consult with an attorney. In Missouri, obtaining public aid by means of false statement or concealment may be charged as stealing. Because this is a serious charge, before making any admissions concerning the allegations, you should speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney and have him or her review whatever letters you received about the possible violation.

Legal Disclaimer: If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Mr. Wells is licensed to practice law in Missouri. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Wells strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics