I have received a letter stating that I have been accused of a "possible intentional" violation for food stamps. Apparently the

Asked almost 2 years ago - Saint Louis, MO

I have received a letter stating that I have been accused of a "possible intentional" violation for food stamps. Apparently they felt as if I should have disclosed my now husband (who was unemployed for that time). I thought that adding him would actually qualify us for more and I was embarrassed to need the help in the first place. I NEVER intentionally did anything to try to abuse the system. I got a letter saying that reguardless I was not elligible for the food stamps at all and now I need to pay it back. If I do pay it back am I pleading guilty to fraud? I have not received benefits for over a year now. I find this whole thing to be crazy but I am ok to pay it back because I look at is as I REALLY needed the help and would not have been able to feed my daughter without it. Should I get a lawyer or can I just set up payments and have this be over?

1. Luke Evan Wells

Answered . Before you make any admission regarding the alleged "intentional violation", I believe that you should consult with an attorney. In Missouri, obtaining public aid by means of false statement or concealment may be charged as stealing. Because this is a serious charge, before making any admissions concerning the allegations, you should speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney and have him or her review whatever letters you received about the possible violation.