Skip to main content

I have received a letter from a lawyer about a slip and fall on my property but i don't have insurance on the property .

Philadelphia, PA |

what can i do ? and the location is SW phily . and also wonder whats the chance they win ? how ami i going to defend my self ,

Attorney Answers 12

  1. You need to retain a local civil defense lawyer. I'm sorry, but my office is Plaintiff only.

  2. What their chances are at winning depends on the facts and circumstances of the claim. Right?? You did not provide any information as to what happened.
    I will say that even though you did not provide any facts as to what happened their chances of winning--IF THEY FILE A LAWSUIT--are excellent if you do not retain a lawyer to defend you. My suggestion is to contact a lawfirm that normally is hired by insurance companies to defend these types of claims and pay for an hour of that firms time to go over the claim. In that way you can get a better idea of what you can expect and how to respond to the claim if one is ever made. Google Insurance defense lawfirms philadelphia to get some names.

    If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

  3. You need to retain local counsel to represent you. Do not ignore this situation. It will only get worse. Chances of winning depend upon a myriad of factors and you have provided no facts. If you post additional information, I can provide you with more insight.

    The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the State of California and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

  4. Slip and fall claims do not bring automatic recovery, contrary to common belief. Retain an attorney to review all of the facts and circumstances of the accident and the injuries. This will determine whether they have a viable claim for liability and for causally related damages. Here is an article on what slip and fall cases require: BLUE LINK BELOW:

    Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

  5. More facts are needed to assess. How did the fall occur, what was the extent of injury, etc

    All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. Without the benefit of a personal consultation to explore all of the facts of your legal problem, the information in this posting may be inaccurate and for that reason it should not be relied upon. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.

  6. Since you do not have insurance on the property in order to properly defend the claim you need to hire an attorney experienced in insurance claims and defense. There are many risks associated with defending yourself in an injury claim, all of which would result in a financial loss to you. The nature of the alleged defect, the types of injuries claimed and the compensation being sought are all factor that would determine any course of defense. I am very experienced in this area (both from plaintiff and defense sides) - call an attorney ASAP who can advise you as to the best strategy for the situation.

  7. You should consult with an attorney specializing in personal injury matters. Your attorney should notifiy the injured party that there is no insurance and should also investigate the alleged cause of the injury before there are any changes to the property. If necessary, the attorney will defend you if suit is filed, since you would be personally responsible for any judgement. I would also respectfully suggest that you obtain property insurance since it is significantly less expensive that legal fees.

  8. You indicate that you do not have insurance on the property. However, often I find that property owners with mortgages of some variety do not understand that often the bank mortgage holder - to protect their interest - will have insurance on the property if you fail to keep a policy. Therefore, if you have a loan secured against the property, contact the loan holder to see if there is insurance.

  9. I suggest you pay for a consultation with a civil defense attorney to review the circumstances and respond to the letter you have received. You also should consult an insurance broker about appropriately insuring the property you own.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  10. You should also immediately take photographs of your property, so that you have some evidence of any condition that might exist there now. It is not clear what the person claims to have "slipped and fallen" on, but you want to be able to show the condition of your property. You have no obligation to respond to the letter itself, but you might want to call the attorney that sent you a letter, indicating that you do not have insurance on the property. IF you are served with papers that indicate that you have been sued - you will need to take action immediately. These papers cannot come in the mail. They would have to be personally served on you. The first page should be in two languages - English and Spanish, and it should have a caption that indicates something like "Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County" It should list the name of the person suing you and then "vs" and then your name. IF you are served with such papers, it is important that you respond. If you do not have insurance on your property, then you would need to hire an attorney to defend you. If you cannot afford an attorney, you may be able to get help through the VIP (Volunteers for the Indigent) program in Philadelphia. I am one of many attorneys who volunteer to help people in defending such lawsuits when they cannot afford an attorney. You can contact them at:
    Philadelphia VIP
    1500 Walnut Street, Suite 400, Philadelphia, PA 19102

    Legal disclaimer: The comments above by Dale Larrimore, Esq. are provided as general information and not as a legal opinion or legal advice, because all facts are not available. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney in your state who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by Dale Larrimore, Esq., of Larrimore & Farnish, LLP, does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state or under Federal law.

  11. What's your equity in the property? Is there a mortgage on it? Protect yourself now if it is an asset.

    Please note that we are not forming an attorney - client relationship and the advice is meant to be general. Law Offices of Joel J. Kofsky Two Penn Center 1500 John F. Kennedy Boulevard Suite 1050 Philadelphia, PA 19102

  12. As indicated by others, you should document the condition of your property. You should also hire counsel to protect your interests. I wonder if your home is owned by you, or you and your spouse. Find an attorney who will give you a free consultation, be honest, and know that from a plaintiff's standpoint, these are very tough cases to bring.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics