Skip to main content

I have received a final judgement against me from Discover. Should I contact the plaintiffs attorneys to work out payments?

West Palm Beach, FL |

I would like to make arrangements to pay this debt without going to court, and without filing the fact sheet. Is that possible?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. It certainly becomes harder to negotiate a settlement now that you have a judgment, but it is do-able. It would be better to have an attorney do it but if you choose, you can attempt to negotiate yourself.

    This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only.

  2. You could call and make an offer, but if a judgement has been issued, then the creditor attorney is in the process of garnishing you, or putting a lien on your property and bank accounts. Do it quick, and make sure your settlement offer is in writing and includes all of the protections you need.

    The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

  3. Possible, but highly unlikely since they have a judgment.

    We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

  4. As the other attorneys have pointed out, once a judgment is issued negotiating a low settlement becomes really difficult. At this point the creditor is able to garnish your wages, levy your bank account, and attach other assets. The information in the Fact Information Sheet will help them do this. Knowing the process and the plaintiff, it will take them some time to move on anything like that.

    I would contact an attorney who regularly handles cases such as these to help you negotiate a settlement. You can do it on your own, but we have experience in shaping the narrative to get favorable settlement outcomes. Most attorneys will handle these types of situations on a contingency fee of what you actually save, so you really do not have to come out of pocket. The other benefit to using an attorney is that your information is protected more than if you did it on your own.

    Information on Avvo should not be construed as legal advice. The response above is only for informational purposes and should not be construed as creating an attorney/client relationship. If you have further questions or would like to schedule a free consultation call 813-367-5128 or email us at

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics