I have reason to believe that the custodian for my childs education trust fund has spent the money. What recourse do I have?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pittsburgh, PA

The fund was set up by my father. He is deceased. He appointed my sister the custodian. I have been denied access to any information about the fund by the broker and my sister. We are no longer on speaking terms due to a separate disagreement. The IRS has sent a bill for taxes on distributions from the fund. My child has not received any money from the fund.

1. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

1

Answered . This "fund" is it a trust or a uniform gifts for minors account? In any event, you clearly need an attorney to either inquire or bring suit against this trustee/custodian. It is not legal and fraud to self-deal and not use the funds for the benefit of the beneficiary.

2. William Ray Pelger

1

Answered . if they won't respond, you will need an attorney to inquire through letter and if still no response to petition the court for an accounting.

3. James P. Frederick

Answered . I agree with Attorney Zelinger. You need an attorney to help you investigate this further.

James Frederick