I have PROOF of Identity theft in another state. How to pursue?

Asked over 1 year ago - Riverside, CA

A few weeks ago I stumbled across not 1 but 2 reports of me living in a state I have never been to. I would not have thought about it seriously, but the 2 addresses (which are in the same city, 4 mins apart) are addresses my ex had given me to send gifts to my children. I know she is with a man who has been to prison for FORGING MONEY and arrested for HOME REPAIR FRAUD. Most recently they were both arrested for burglary and are in jail indefinitely (so far it's been a week). How can I pursue this? And if and when I pursue, how to I find out exactly what they have done with my name? How can I fix it? And ABOVE ALL, how long will she go away for??

1. Scott Richard Kaufman

1

Answered . I highly recommend trying to clear this up with the Credit Reporting Agencies (CRAs) like Experian, Equifax, Trans Union, et al. If they fail to do so, you may have valuable claims against them ESPECIALLY if your credit has been damaged. Usually, a police report is a good place to start. I recommend Robert Stempler, Bob Brennan or Stephanie Tatar in Southern CA for this kind of work. Please tell them I said hello. You can find either of them or someone else good in the national database for experienced consumer protection attorneys at the "find an attorney" tab, here:

http://www.naca.net

http://www.CaLemons.com

2. Mariam Mary Margaryan

Answered . I agree that filing a police report is a good place to start. You should also place a fraud alert and notify all credit reporting agencies Experian, Equifax, Trans Union of the identity theft. Good luck.

One or more answers have been taken down.