I have power of attorney for my mentally disabled brother. He recently purchased a new vehicle and traded in a like new vehicle

Chicago, IL |

without my knowledge. He does not have the mental capacity to negotiate deals. Do I have any recourse. Can he he legally purchase this vehicle without my approval.

1. Yours is a tricky question because POA may or may not be in place due to lack of mental capacity. However, the dealer does not know that. Tell the dealer that your brohter does not have the capacity to enter into a financial agreement so it would be in their best interests to take the car back.

Then consider filing a petition for guardianship.

2. The question is whether you brother is: 1) under the age of 18 and/or 2) declared incompetent by a guardianship court. If the answer "no" then he is presumed to be competent. In any event, it might be wise to consult a local attorney that is familiar with consumer transactions.

Good Luck!

Legal Disclaimer: Paul A. Smolinski is licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois only, and as such, his answers to AVVO inquiries are based on his understanding of Illinois law only. His answers are for general information about perceived legal issues within this question only and no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to extend any right of confidentiality between you and Mr. Smolinski, to constitute legal advice, or create an attorney/client or other contractual relationship. An attorney/client relationship is formed only by specific agreement including an evaluation of the specific legal problem and review of all the facts and documents at issue. We try to insure the accuracy of this information, but we cannot guarantee its accuracy. The reader should never assume that this information applies to his or her specific situation or constitutes legal advice. Therefore, please consult competent counsel that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction and who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances.