I have power of attorney and am executer to my mothers' will.

Asked about 2 years ago - Jamaica, NY

We have a relative living in the house Who is causing problems and it would be in the best interest of my mother for them to leave. She is uniwilling to ask them to leave even though they have been verbally abusive with her. She 80yrs old. Does my power of attorney give me the power to go to court and have them evicted?

1. Richard S. Bonfiglio

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . You do not indicate whether the power of attorney your mother gave you authorizes you to handle real estate matters. If it does, you would have the legal capacity to bring the legal proceedings needed to evict your relative. If your relative has been living in the home long enough to be considered a tenant, you need to terminate their tenancy by service of a 30 day notice of termination. You would be well advised to hire a lawyer to review your power of attorney for the authority to bring the eviction and to prepare the necessary notices and bring an eviction proceeding if needed.

2. Richard J. Chertock

Pro

2

Answered . That depends on the specific powers granted in the power of attorney. Have an attorney review the power to get an accurate answer.

3. Roman Aminov

Pro

2

Answered . As the other attorneys correctly mentioned, the answer depends on what the
    power says. You should have an attorney look at the power. I am close to
    Jamaica and will be happy to look it over at no charge.

Sincerely, Roman Aminov, Esq.
    Law Offices of Roman Aminov
    147-17 Union Turnpike | Flushing, New York 11367
    P: 347.766.2685 | F: 347.474.7344
    Roman@AminovLaw.com | www.AminovLaw.com
    >

4. Tassma Ann Powers

Pro

2

Answered . It would also be important to know whether you currently have the authority to act on behalf of your Mother. Is she incapacitated as defined in the document or state law? If not, does the POA require incapacity in order for you to act?

5. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . I agree with the other responses, and particularly that of Attorney Powers. If the POA is not effective at this time, you would be dead in the water, without your mom's approval. If the POA is effective, then you would be able to bring an action. But you will almost certainly need to have an attorney represent you with this. Even if the POA expressly states that you have the legal right to represent your mother in court, I know of no judge that would allow you to do this without an attorney, (unless you have a law license, that is).

James Frederick