Skip to main content

I have physical custody of my kids

Bronx, NY |

I have physical custody of my kids the live with me, the father has visitation,he's trying to register my kids in the school in his neighborhood does he have a right to do that? Thanks I live in nyc

Attorney Answers 3


No - generally the DOE will require some proof of where the children are residing. That said, the best way to rectify the dispute is to file a petition in Family Court for an order of custody. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody lawyer for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


If the kids live with you, and you share joint legal custody, then the decision should be a joint one. But based on NYC rules, they should be registered where they live. If you have problems with the father, you may need to file in the court to prevent him from registering him and make it clear where the children should go to school. Good luck!

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Only the parent with physical custody can register a child for school.

I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have experience in all five boroughs as well is Nassau and Suffolk County. The opinion expressed in this ad based upon the limited information provided and do not indicate an attorney-client relationship

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics