I have physical custody of my kids

Asked 10 months ago - Bronx, NY

I have physical custody of my kids the live with me, the father has visitation,he's trying to register my kids in the school in his neighborhood does he have a right to do that? Thanks I live in nyc

1. Morghan L Richardson

Pro

2

Answered . If the kids live with you, and you share joint legal custody, then the decision should be a joint one. But based on NYC rules, they should be registered where they live. If you have problems with the father, you may need to file in the court to prevent him from registering him and make it clear where the children should go to school. Good luck!

2. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

1

Answered . No - generally the DOE will require some proof of where the children are residing. That said, the best way to rectify the dispute is to file a petition in Family Court for an order of custody. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody lawyer for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  3. David Zaslavsky

1

Answered . Only the parent with physical custody can register a child for school.