I have pending 484(A) charges from 91 in a county different than where I now live. What do I need to do to clear this?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

Arrested for shoplifting 22 years ago while at school in Los Angeles County, issued a ticket with what I assume is an appearance date. I moved out of the area once school was finished and never appeared. Now I am trying to get licensed for foster care and adoption and need to resolve this. I do not know where to start. There have not been any legal issues since, is it possible to get the charges dropped since they are so old? If not, what are my best options to ensure I can move forward with the foster care licensing?

1. Seth Andrew Weinstein

1

Best Answer

Answered . This is not that out of the ordinary in LA County, because the court system is so backed up and things get lost. In 2012, I handled a Probation Violation from 1989 and a Driving with a Suspended License charge from 1990. Both cases were in Criminal Courts Building in Downtown Los Angeles. In both cases, the clients had been stopped by police within the past 20 years and nothing showed up until it randomly appeared.

You actually do not have to appear in court because you can hire an attorney to motion up your case and appear on your behalf for a Misdemeanor Petty Theft. In some cases, you do not ever have to appear. If you would like, give me a call tomorrow and we can discuss how to clear up this case.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

Answered . We have handled many similar matters. A great deal will depend on the complete facts of the case and on the cooperation received from the head of the local district attorney's office. He/she may remove it with a little negotiation. Or in the alternative if there isn't much cooperation with the district attorney's office then a Serna motion may be in order to have the court dismiss the case outright. Typically, the district attorney cooperates on such matters if presented properly. Either way you will need to retain an attorney so that you are represented in the best light and so that you can eliminate / reduce your trips to Los Angeles.

www.YourCriminalDefenseLawyer.com
    (800) 409-7010

3. Evelyn Ann Cox

Answered . Hire one of these criminal attorneys down in L.A. to get this resolved ASAP.

Even a conviction for Petty theft should not hold up your adoption through CPS - but you need to get it taken care of right away to avoid any problems.