I have parental consent - what are the steps to getting married at age 17?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oceanside, CA

I'm 17 yrs. old, and my boyfriend is 18 and in the U.S. Army. He is currently deployed, but when he returns we want to get married. The biggest question was getting parental consent in the first place, which I now have. Now the question is, what is the legal process and what are the steps I need to take to obtain a marriage license/certificate and become legally married to my boyfriend at a Justice of the Peace?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Trevor L Hensley

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Go to the local county courthouse and ask the court clerk. Each county has its own rules and processes for getting married. Ask the clerk for information about how to obtain a marriage license. If the clerk does not know she/he will refer you to the department that does.

    This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,120 answers this week

3,107 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,120 answers this week

3,107 attorneys answering