I have only been married one week can I get my marriage annulled? We have no kids or property together.

Valrico, FL |

My husband and I don't have any kids or property together, we feel like marriage was the wrong thing to do. We both agreed that a annulment or divorce is the best option.

1. It is extremely difficult to get a marriage annulled in Florida. You should consult with am experienced attorney to determine whether you are better served by filing for an annulment or divorce.

If you find my answer to be helpful or the best answer, please make sure to mark your choice. **COMMUNICATION ON THIS SITE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.**

2. The grounds for an annulment are very, very limited. One is incapacity--mental incapacity, or one of you is still married to another. Or, if you did not "consummate" the marriage. But, an annulment might still not be granted. A divorce would be simpler, quicker, less expensive, and if the marriage is irretrievably broken, the judge would most likely grant the petition without much of a second thought.

I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo rating and would be appreciated. This answer shall not be considered rendering legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. Avvo is a wonderful resource but nothing can substitute for an in-depth consultation face-to-face with a lawyer. The response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

3. I agree with my colleague. An annulment would almost certainly be handled like a divorce anyways so it really doesn't make a difference. Basically, the judge might let you call it an annulment (wink) but it would be a divorce as far as the State of Florida is concerned. At least that's my understanding. Good luck. Do you think you might give it longer than 1 week? Just a thought.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

4. just get a divorce it is a lot easier

5. The word annulment means the marriage is null, as in, it didn't happen. So you "thought" you were taking a trip to the moon and actually you got married. Mentally incompetent to know what you were doing. Something like that. If you knew you were getting married, then you'll need a divorce. People don't think they "need" a divorce, but they do. Anyway, the cost is just about the same and will put you in the same position, namely, unmarried.

6. I agree with my colleagues that a divorce would be much easier to do. In fact, you might be able to do the divorce on your own with the self-help forms from the Florida Bar. If you would like some assistance with the matter, since it is not contested, it would not be an expensive case to hire an attorney to do. You should consult with an attorney initially, no matter what you decide to do. If you would like a free consultation contact me or another of the AVVO lawyers as most offer free consults.

Sincerely,
    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.
    813-681-8383