I have only 46 dollars in the bank. I am not employed. I own a houses that is in foreclosure. I am on public assistance.

Trenton, NJ |

The public defender turn me down for representation. The public defender office pushed off the trial 2 times already for not having discovery. Now they are not respresenting me because of the house the say is an asset. The trial is on Monday. Can the Judge make me represent myself? What am I going to do I have done everything? What do I tell the judge?

1. Based on is new information it sounds like a Municipal Court matter. If it is not an offense of magnitude or if the Judge indicates a sentence of magnitude is not at issue you can be forced to defend yourself. But if you are indigent and it is a offense of magnitude this cannot be done. Bring proof of your lack of assists to the Court.

2. You will have a chance to explain your financial situation to the judge. He may assign a PD after hearing you.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

3. This is a repeat question. See my earlier answer. Kindly do not repeat questions. Thanks. Good luck to you.
    ---------------------------
    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on Avvo.com are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.