I have only 46 dollars in the bank. I am not employed. I own a houses that is in foreclosure. I am on public assistance.

The public defender turn me down for representation. The public defender office pushed off the trial 2 times already for not having discovery. Now they are not respresenting me because of the house the say is an asset. The trial is on Monday. Can the Judge make me represent myself? What am I going to do I have done everything? What do I tell the judge?

Trenton, NJ -

Attorney Answers (3)

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

Criminal Defense Attorney - Union, NJ

Based on is new information it sounds like a Municipal Court matter. If it is not an offense of magnitude or if the Judge indicates a sentence of magnitude is not at issue you can be forced to defend yourself. But if you are indigent and it is a offense of magnitude this cannot be done. Bring proof of your lack of assists to the Court.

Yolanda Navarrete

Yolanda Navarrete

Personal Injury Lawyer - Morristown, NJ

You will have a chance to explain your financial situation to the judge. He may assign a PD after hearing you.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to... more
Dean P Murray

Dean P Murray

DUI / DWI Attorney - Hoboken, NJ

This is a repeat question. See my earlier answer. Kindly do not repeat questions. Thanks. Good luck to you.
Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.